Monday, December 14, 2009

tiny dress

I work in a fabric shop. I guess technically it's a quilt shop, but since we do so much more than patchwork, I like to be broad in labeling it. Anyone who sews can imagine the best parts about the job: seeing beautiful new fabric and patterns (sometimes before they hit the streets!), and making samples for the store. Sometimes I make samples on the clock, other times I work on them at home.

This is one such sample I made at work:


Cute, huh? The pattern is from Vanilla House Designs, and the fabric is Lantern Bloom by Laura Gunn. You probably noticed right away my directional error on the yoke! That aside, I like the way it turned out, but I had a few problems with the pattern.

First, the entire dress is rotary cut, meaning it is made entirely of straight lines. Humans, on the other hand, are made of curved lines which is why typical garment patterns have all sorts of slopes, arcs, and curves too. Fabric has to be manipulated a certain way to hang properly from a 3-dimensional form.

I know this is a child's dress, and those principles matter less because the fit is less of an issue. And the dress isn't on an actual person, so I can't tell how it will hang and move in reality... BUT, if it's hanging funny on the mannequin, it'll probably hang funny on a wiggly toddler.

If I made this again, I'd double the cut width of the hem and sleeve trim and fold them in half rather than just hemming them. That way the inside of the trim is faced and looks more finished.

All in all, it's a quick and easy project--the pattern itself is well-written and easy to understand. The pleats take the most time, and they're really nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment