Tuesday, January 26, 2010

three items

 1. Weekend bread-baking was a success!  I used this recipe, with a few adjustments, to make asiago cheese bread.  It turned out beautifully!  (We were short on asiago cheese, so I added parmesan.  No major changes--I am too much the novice.)  Here it is, what do you think?




The recipe made two loaves, but we finished the first one before I could photograph it.  Next time, I'll double up!  There's something about baking bread I find incredibly satisfying.  The process is simple, relatively few ingredients are required, and kneading just feels good.  My arms are a little sore even, which tells you a bit about my non-exercise regiment.

 

By the way, the fabric in the background is from Rosalie Quinlan's "Grandmother's Flower Garden" line for Lecien.  It's from a fat quarter pack I bought from Sew, Mama, Sew, and am too in love to cut into it just yet.  
2. Here is a snippet of another quilt-in-progress, which I hope to finish today:



It is mostly Gee's Bend solids (which are actually hand-dyes) and Kaffe Fassett shot cottons, with a focus print from Anna Maria Horner.  Most of the yardage was a Christmas gift from my mom.  She has my colors down, that's for sure.  Shot cottons are notoriously hard to photograph, and the fuchsia pictured is far more vibrant in person!  (On the topic of shot cottons, have you seen this Work Quilt from Victoria at the Silly BooDilly?  It's incredible!)

3. I have a half-plan to start using my scraps, and figured the best way to do that is to just start.  I made these cards by stitching down two pieces of fabric.  (Note: spray adhesive is immensely helpful, though not essential.)



Nice for Valentine's Day, perhaps?  I just love looking at fabric.  Agh.  Seriously, it's an addiction!  Once you start making these, you won't want to stop.  Ultimately I will settle on a scrap quilt design for the bulk of my scraps, and have been researching antique patterns for inspiration.  One thing at a time though, right?  (Or two or three!)

1 comment:

  1. Your bread is beautiful! Or should I say "was", as I'm sure it has been polished off by now. I love the pretty colors of your solids and those adorable cards! I recently saw someone else sewing fabric on paper to make card and I just love the idea!

    ReplyDelete