Monday, March 8, 2010

scenes from a quilt show

Well!  I was busy, busy, busy the last month preparing for the Indiana Heritage Quilt Show, which took place last weekend here in Bloomington.  I work at a local quilt shop, and we had a booth at the show which I set up and manned some of the time.  Many long days were spent cutting jelly rolls, preparing kits, bundling fat quarters and getting temporary staff up to speed.  It's an exciting weekend, but it's high stress leading up to it, and I am glad it's over.

Here are a few highlights!  I didn't have much time to walk around and take it all in, but I snapped photos of what caught my eye.  Sorry there's no information about the pieces--I had to make the rounds during rare lulls in activity at our booth.  The lighting at the convention center was not great, but I did my best to fix up the pictures so they'd look accurate.


I think this was called 'Grape Harvest', and as you can see it took Best of Show in the Wall Quilt category.  It's machine appliqued; the grapes are fussy-cut.


This quilt contained so much amazing detail!  These little patches of pintucks give texture to the foliage in the background.

 

Here is a pretty traditional wholecloth quilt.  The sort of cutwork in the border and around the centerpiece is so unique; I've never seen anything quite like it!  I don't think it's actually cutwork, but once again I didn't have time to read up on it.  It took second place in something.


See, what is that?  I'll call it noodlework.


A detail of the free motion quilting, with what looks to be couching or bobbinwork (or good ol' embroidery) for some of the tendrils.  Imagine how many hours this section alone required to complete.  My shoulders ache at the thought!


This little quilt is definitely my favorite.  A 9-year-old girl pieced and quilted it for a school project, as an example of Seminole patchwork.

 

I like the slight wonkiness of the patchwork.  Few people possess such patience, let alone a person in the fourth grade.


It must run in the family, because here is an entry from her 7-year-old sister.  I really like the composition of this one: the spacing of the nine-patch units, and the fact that some are placed side-by-side.

And lastly, we have an entry from Greenwood, Indiana's Mary Buvia, which won 1st place in the Fabric Art category, as well as Exemplary Machine Quilting.  I couldn't get a shot of the whole thing, but you can find one here.


Mary teaches free motion quilting at the shop where I work.  Many of Mary's designs begin with a painting or sketch by her husband Bob; I believe this one started as a painting.  The collaborative flow of ideas between the two is enviable.  Though this quilt isn't exactly my style, the workmanship is stunning.  Detail of the applique and quilting:


Sometime during the making of this quilt, Bob's cancer returned and Mary stopped teaching in order to nurse him through chemotherapy.  She was able to complete this piece in the meantime.


Really, look at that.  Quilting to stop hearts!  Despite being in his 80s, Bob beat cancer once again and still drives Mary to the shop to teach every month.  What Bob and Mary have is rare; her quilt symbolizes that.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Britt! Wow -- it looks like you got to see some amazing quilts! Thanks for commenting on my blog. I do have the Jean Wells book on intuitive color and design. It's a good one, too. I just haven't had much time to explore with it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That noodlework is really interesting. I would have liked to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! Those are gorgeous! Especially the 1st one. Would that I had such patience and expertise!

    ReplyDelete