Sunday, April 25, 2010

Mama-made: The Guilt Quilt, part II

 This is the quilt my mom made for my birthday at the end of February.  It was a response to the Guilt Quilt that I made her for Christmas.  I told her I'd like a quilt out of either Hope Valley by Denyse Schmidt, or Tanya Whelan's Dolce.  My mom chose the latter, and I referred her to the Fresh Modern Quilts pool on Flickr for inspiration.  After much agonizing and planning, she came up with this:  

 

But wait--that's not all!  She had so much fabric left over that she made a pieced back.  I especially like the patches of dark grey:


So this, friends, is how my dear mama out-quilted me, several times over.  She calls the quilting pattern 'chicken scratch'; it's a randomly-placed allover diagonal sort of design that echoes the lines of this print, used in the body and for the binding:




I really can't put into words how much I love this quilt.  Design-wise, it is kind of out of my mom's comfort zone.  She made up the pattern and went for it, and the result is stunning!  The center rectangle of each block is the same size, but is placed differently within the block.  (She did this by adding borders and then squaring up.)


My dad had the idea to sash the blocks and set them on the diagonal, and helped choose the two shades of grey used on each side.  I think he also helped arrange the blocks, which is something he likes to do and is good at doing.  

 

I also really like the back.  The stacked books design is understated and nice way to let the prints do the talking.  My little library is around 400 titles strong (most of them NOT about sewing, can you imagine?), so I am a sucker for book-inspired design!




This is one of the best gifts I've ever received.  Mama, you outdid me.  Moreover, you outdid yourself!

8 comments:

  1. this quilt is amazing...as is your mom. the design is so gorgeous and really shows the fabric off amazingly. you are one lucky girl to have it!! the fact that your dad put in some of his too sense really adds to the emotional value of the quilt...it has a bit of both of them (okay, mostly your mom, but your dad's part in it is really sweet).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your mom did an amazing job! I really like how the front reminds me of bricks, but then there's even more interest when you look at it really close.

    I also like how essentially it's a two-sided blanket, because both sides would look good up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely gorgeous - I love the grey sashing - the whole thing is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! And the "chicken Scratch" quilting is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! And the back is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Absolutely fabulous -- front and back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing quilt!! I would love to know what color grey she used the sashing, if you know. It should be a staple in everyone's stash! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nikki: My mom and I have a date to go back to the fabric shop where she bought the grey sashing. If they have any left, we'll be sure to check and I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete