Wednesday, June 23, 2010

postcards from the Corn Belt

About an hour northeast of Bloomington lies Franklin, Indiana.  It is a charming little town of 20,000 that gives you the feeling you are walking through the pages of Robert McCloskey's Lentil.  For the next three days, it is also home to a nice little fabric store.

 Johnson County courthouse

Steven and I made a trip to Clementine's Dry Goods one last time to take advantage of the closing sale.

 broken dishes, anyone?

At 40% off, I got a whole lot of yardage for less than $6/yard!

I guess I'm in a green phase...

Amy Butler solids, to be divided between me and my mama.  We are both hoarding solid fabric right now!

I really, really have to start using my fabric en masse.  No more fat quarter projects; this calls for some serious sewing.  

Here is Franklin's classic theater, which closed in 2000 but still shows older movies to raise funds for its own restoration.  Check out its name! 


On our drive home, I tried to photograph the cornfields.  From a moving vehicle.  Later in the season, the corn stalks tower over the state roads in a very Wizard of Oz way.  I am not an Indiana native, and fields of corn still strike me as a midwestern novelty.

corn at 45 mph


A scenic drive with my sweetheart (who likes to do the driving and doesn't mind fabric shopping!) and yardage on the cheap... all in all, a lovely day in Franklin.

4 comments:

  1. I want that artcraft sign for the front of my house ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your photos. Esp. the Broken Dishes one. Isn't it funny how quilt patterns turn up everywhere? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I was wondering if you could point me to any other good fabric stores in the area? I'm from Bloomington too, and so far as I can tell there's not much in this town. Anything good in Indy that you know of?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Claire! You know, I don't know of too many shops in the area with bright, modern fabric if that is what you're after. There is Shiisa Quilts in Bloomington, Ady's in Morgantown, and Quilt Quarters in Carmel, though I have not been to the latter two and am not sure what they stock. If I don't get it at Shiisa Quilts, then I buy online. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete