Sunday, June 20, 2010

two camera case wristlets

Look!  I can finish projects!  My dear friend Abbey was in need of a protective case for her new camera.  We found nothing that fit the bill at thrift stores, so I volunteered to make a camera wristlet from Keyka Lou patterns.  While I was at it, I made one for myself too!

(left: Abbey's, right: mine; both featuring Denyse Schmidt fabric)

Each case comfortably holds a slender digital camera with a little extra room.  I love how the bottom loop wraps around the body of the camera--it's so cute!  There's a back pocket also, which is held shut be the other loop.



The pattern is well-written with detailed, logical instructions; it's also illustrated with photos that clear up any potentially confusing parts, like the order of operations for layering and basting.  This is a great pattern overall, and I'd suggest it to someone with confident beginner/intermediate skills because of the fussy nature of tiny projects.



I did tweak the instructions in a few ways.  The pattern didn't suggest an interfacing weight, so I used Decor Bond because I had it on hand.  It's medium-weight, I believe, and I like that it gives a bit of rigidity and body.  I trimmed about 1/4" from the interfacing and batting pieces before adhering them, rather than cutting the excess away after stitching.  That would make for a very bulky seam in such a tiny space!

I also used 505 temporary adhesive spray to adhere the batting to its corresponding pieces rather than basting it in place.  It's repositionable but still sticks without gumming up your needle.  I believe fusible fleece or thin fusible batting would work too, but then you'd definitely want to trim before fusing.

You can buy the PDF for $6 here, which grants you permission to make and sell these camera cases on a cottage industry scale.  Nice, huh?  While you're at it, check out the Keyka Lou blog and share your finished projects with the Keyka Lou Flickr group!  Have any of you used other Keyka Lou patterns?  How did you like them?

4 comments:

  1. Very cute! I agree, definitely a great pattern. I really like the fabrics you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out great! I love the fabrics--especially the yellow one. Very cute. Thanks for the pattern review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just made this myself, it's a great pattern. I love you fabric choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where can I buy this pattern? I love it and can't find it anywhere.
    frosty3@hickorytech.net
    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete