Tuesday, September 21, 2010

a quilt I didn't make (but wish I did)

I haven't had time (or made time) to finish a quilt in quite a while.  My mom, on the other hand, sews circles around me!  She pieced this quilt and had it longarm quilted by Kathy Kessler in Bloomington, IN.  Kathy's rates are very reasonable and she ships!  She's also the most cheerful person you'll ever meet which somehow comes through in her quilting.

The prints are a mix of Kaffe Fassett collective, Anna Maria Horner, and Aboriginal prints from M&S Textiles.  The solid fabrics are Gee's Bend hand dyes and Kaffe Fassett shot cottons (street name: chambray).


 I advised my mom to choose Hobbs Tuscany Silk batting, which is all silk fibers with a polyester scrim.  It's very light and breathable, so is good for warmer weather.  Isn't Kathy's quilting amazing?  This is no pantograph--she quilted the design freehand!


The smallest block is about 3.5" finished, and the largest is somewhere in the neighborhood of 15".  I just can't get over the colors!  Here is the quilt pictured with the pillowcases I made and featured in my rolled pillowcase tutorial:


Dear Mom, if you ever get tired of looking at this quilt, I will do you a favor and take it off your hands.  Fair deal?

5 comments:

  1. This is one beautiful quilt! Congrats to your mom and the long-arm quilter. The variety and arrangement of color is just lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this pattern! And man, that woman is one heck of a quilter if that was a freehand job! Your mom did a great job piecing, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks y'all! I think my mom is very happy to hear so many kind words about her work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's amazingly beautiful. thanks for the idea.

    High End Childrens Clothing

    ReplyDelete