Thursday, March 10, 2011

Cool Cottons love

PORTLAND.  It is home to my favorite octogenarian AND my favorite fabric shop!  What more can you ask for in a city?  I recently flew to Portland to celebrate my Grama Dona's 80th birthday, and made the customary visit to Cool Cottons on SE Hawthorne.

Behold, the spoils:


Okay.  I've said it before: I love this shop, and in case you need convincing, I took some photos!  Looking them over, I find myself wishing I could board a plane to PDX today just to be among the bolts.


I love that the shop is organized and uncluttered!  There seems to be a gene shared by most fabric store owners which compels them to amass great piles of junk and present them as though they were salable.  Pam and Marie don't seem to carry that gene, and it makes for a most pleasant and inspiring visit.


If you keep up with my blog you know that much of my sewing in the past year has been for Owlette and not for the heck of it.  Well, sometimes it is enough just to shop for fabric.  I actually bought exclusively for my personal stash at Cool Cottons, which hasn't happened in many months.


When my mom and I arrived in Nashville, our first order of business (before eating dinner, naturally) was to show my dad our new fabric.  My mom joked that now her stash really was too big, to which my dad replied, "Well if it's nice fabric that you like, there's no such thing as too much."  Correct!!


Pictured below is the cutting area, and to the left under the window you'll find tons and tons of shot cottons, including stripes!


I am not certain but I believe Cool Cottons stocks nearly every solid shot cotton there is--at least enough to where you won't miss the ones they don't carry.


If you can't tell, this is my Happy Place.  Cool Cottons, you're the best!

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful building they have! That would make the experience for me. And I do love their organization. Quilters in Portland have got it good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed, Portlanders are lucky! If you ever make it out there, Cool Cottons is the place to go. They're in an old Craftsman house and it's just the cutest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a fabulous job of capturing the essence of the place! I would have to agree with your assessment of it being a personal "Happy Place." Even while being employed at a different quilt shop in the area, Cool Cottons has always been my absolute favorite fabric shop since they opened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures! It's my favorite fabric store too - for many reasons. I'm lucky enough to live 3 blocks away from it, which is horribly dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I found you through the SMS giveaway and really like what I'm seeing. Especially when I see my neighborhood fabric store featured! So cool! I'm in here weekly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! Glad you found my blog. I LOVE Cool Cottons and revisiting this post is making me miss it so much! When I think about visiting Portland, I think of my relatives, my childhood best friend, and Cool Cottons. Those are my priorities!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ran across your blog when searching for "shot cotton" fabric Nashville. I would LOVE to visit Cool Cottons in Portland, BUT was hoping for somewhere a little closer :). Do you have a fabric store you could recommend (I'm especially interested in shot cotton, but love to go to pretty much any fabric store) in the Nashville or even Atlanta area.

    ReplyDelete