Sunday, May 15, 2011

my mama loves me.

Not to brag, but my mom is pretty great.  Last year for my birthday, she made this quilt for me.  The design is her own, and she spent many hours agonizing over it.  It is ranked among two or three possessions I would run into a burning building to save.  For my birthday this year, she made this quilt:


I absolutely love it!  The prints are entirely from Anna Maria Horner's Innocent Crush line, with some Gee's Bend hand-dyed solids and Kaffe Fassett shot cottons thrown in.  I think they compliment each other nicely.


I remember when my mom first bought all these fabrics, and couldn't decide how to best use them.  She finally settled on equilateral triangles (sometimes called Thousand Pyramids) and I think the geometry suits the prints nicely.

[my favorite photo of this quilt!]
I don't know how much time she spent cutting out these triangles, but it must have taken days!  She said she gave the quilt to me because she knew I could appreciate all the work that went into it.


My mom quilted it with free-form wavy lines, reminiscent of my twiggy quilt, which was inspired by the hills of Tennessee.


This quilt was on my bed until recently, when Knoxville was suddenly boiling in 90-degree weather.  Summer happens all at once here!  It's been cooler the last few nights, so perhaps I can get a bit more use out of this beauty after all.

You can see more of my mom's work on her Flickr site, here!

One more thing before you go: I will be hosting a giveaway here next week for Sew Mama Sew's annual Giveaway Day!  It begins May 23rd so be sure to check back!

5 comments:

  1. That is one amazing quilt. Your mama definitely loves you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nick! She really does nice work. I taught her how to quilt, and she now quilts circles (er, triangles?) around me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what an awesome quilt. You are soooooo lucky. Would your mum do a tutorial on how to make this quilt. Simply amazing. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful combination of colors. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's such a lovely quilt - I'm hoping to make one like this with Field Study, I wondered what length your triangle sides are?

    ReplyDelete