Tuesday, December 17, 2013

resurfacing

My semester is over and I am re-learning how to be a normal human! It's an uncomfortable transition, not having more to do than minutes available, and suddenly I've found myself with time to spare.


Despite taking a math, a science, accounting, and history which is whatever, I managed straight A’s this semester. My GPA is 3.92 but who’s counting! (I am. I am counting.) During finals week, I got my Etsy shop up and running (doing those two things at once is not recommended), and have since been channeling all my scholastic efforts into my soap business.
soap samples for everyone!
It's been fun channeling my inner Martha to come up with appealing packaging, and I'm happy for any excuse to use washi tape.


I forgot how easy it is to get lost down the rabbit hole that is Etsy! I'll just be browsing away, when suddenly I look up and it's an hour later! Where did the time go? It's been a couple of years since I've been active on Etsy (having taken a break to focus on school), and it seems to have grown exponentially while I was away. The number of talented makers is overwhelming!

Tannenbaum soap! Fir needle, frankincense, and clove essential oil w/pumpkin puree.
So, reader... do you have an Etsy shop? I'd love to check it out! Leave a comment with your URL and I'll hop on over and give you a like. If you would like to do the same, well, shucks!

peppermint, tea tree, eucalyptus soap with cambrian blue clay

4 comments:

  1. Great post! You are a crazy hard worker and its time to stop and 'smell the roses' or coffee at least! Martha would...so should you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mama! And yeah, Martha would stop and smell the roses... but they'd be roses she grew from her own hybrid of two rare heirloom varieties, from which she intends to make her own rose sachets. So, y'know... Martha.

      Delete
  2. I think you definitely channeled Martha because those is some really creative packaging! I adore it (as well as your whole shop). I hear ya on the rabbit hole. I get sucked into Etsy for hours. There are so many amazing things to look at and I get joy seeing all the other makers flourish!

    Also your soap photographs amaze me. What kind of set up are you using? Any camera settings or other tips that you can impart on a struggling photographer?

    Looking forward to reading more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Olga! It just so happens that I love your shop too! As far as the photography goes, I just kind of mess around til I get something I like. I've never taken a photography class--I think it has more to do with a nice camera. I use my mom's digital SLR and take my photos on white foamcore board in front of a window with good natural light. I try to take all of my photos before 2 or 3 in the afternoon, and overcast days are the best! Luckily it's winter, so they aren't in short supply.

      And then I just Photoshop the photos until I'm happy with them. I adjust the color, contrast, and exposure, and have been trying to figure out levels lately. I've had a little luck with the color replace function, when my background color isn't quite white enough.

      My biggest trick is pretty simple. I take a LOT of photos at one time, once I've determined that the lighting looks good once I've uploaded a few test images. I'll adjust my position or the object's position by an inch, zoom out a little, zoom in a little, and take photos from many different angles. I also try to take my shots from a distance so I can crop them down and really control the composition.

      Good luck with your photography and Etsy endeavors! I'll be keeping up with your Instagram!

      Delete